DRAGON AGRO PRODUCTS HISTORY
Hello Plants Lovers:
Dragon Agro Products was founded in 1994 as a result of Perla's former company (Mobil
Oil Technical Service) moving to a 3- hour drive location. Since Perla was not
thrilled in moving , she thought about putting up her own business; one that
she also enjoys.
Although she was a botanical ( orchids, bonsais, unusuals etc ) hobbyist, she
never joined any orchid societies, bonsai societies etc.,.untill the company
was incorporated. She learned about horticulture from reading books and the
botanical vendors where she spent her money to satiate her hunger for the unusuals
and ever increasing botanical collection. . She has been collecting orchids
for the past 20 years , traveled to about 50 countries and acquired an extensive
network of contacts domestic and abroad.. To jumpstart her business, she turned
to importing in quantity blooming size plants from abroad and hard to find seedlings
in the local and foreign market. It cost less to grow plants to blooming sizes
in the tropics compared to the Northeast coast in the USA. It is the other way
around.now. Vendors that Perla used to buy her plants from are now buying from
The following were her accomplishments in the non-botanical field::
- As a Marketing Manager for Royal Lubricants- a company that specialize in
synthethic oil with clientele ranging from the major oil companies, industrial
companies , aviation industries and Original Equipment Manufacturers
- As a Chemical Engineer for Mobil Oil Corporation, Standard Cholorine Chemical
- Formulated 16 new industrial and 2 engine lubricant products
- Rust preventive product for CSX resulting in $1 Million savings
- Rust preventive product that received unique acceptance and is currently
still being used by Toyota Motors
- New stable and fast marquenching fluid-- best in the metal industry
per TRW .
- Trained field engineers in fluids used in long wall mining industry
- Involved in production of chlorinated benzene and hydrocholoric acid.
Analysis of organic compounds by gas chromatography.
- As a Research Engineer for General Foods Corporation
- Invented, patented and commercialized unique new product , the Jell-O-Americana Rice Pudding
- Patent pending for two methods of invention for natural extraction of annatto and saffron colorant ( most likely
patented by now )
- Researched various types of rices from different countries for new minute rice process
- As an Assistant Research chemical Engineer for McGill University, Nivea Creme Ltd., Petrofina Oil Refinery
in Quebec, Canada
- Worked in a variety of endocrine assays; biological, chemical and radioimmuno assay
- Formulated cosmetics, raw materials analysis and supervision of mass production for elastoplast and bandages
- Researched iron ore reduction for yield improvement
The other partner, Tito , has been exposed to CP, orchids and other exotic
animals and even when he was a kid ( 10 years old). Tito used to tend the orchids
and various pet collections that his father brought from his travels as a merchant
of corn, copra, abaca and other exotic animals in Mindanao, Philippines. Tito's
interest as he grew up wandered into electrical & electronics engineering
and as a consequence, he completely disassociated himself from anything that
requires watering or feeding. After he got married, Tito gave Perla a Phalaenopsis
as a birthday present and that's how he got dragged involuntarily into this
botanical thing again. After spending 2 days every manual watering cycle, Recently Tito got tired of the same routine and devised a way to cut down the manual watering duration from 2 days to 4 hours and save a ton of water going down the drain with a minimum amount of retrofit for less than $200 to the existing greenhouse benches. The retrofit does not involve any automation as the greenhouse is populated with different types of plants from cactus succulent to aquatic type and in between like orchids demanding different types of watering regimen. . Tito managed to devise ways of elimating the yearly repotting and still able to grow the Orchids in an optimum condtion. Tito also gives presentation on growing Orchids and other plants the easy way to various Flower Shows and Orchid Societies. Tito provides Consulting, Marketing and Technical Support of equipment and perishables to the commercial greenhouse / landscaping and plant hobbyist.Tito is still doing consulting work with especialty
in Electrical , Instrumentation . Automation and validation to Engineering / Consulting firm that render engineering
services to the Oil Refineries , Power Generation / Distribution, Industrial, pharmaceutical, ,
bio-technology, Food / Beverage and commercial sector.
The following are Tito's Accomplishments in the non-botanical field::
- Consultant for Covanta Energy -
Provide technical and engineering support in all areas of Instrumentation and Controls for projects
involving new and upgrades of Energy (Steam & Power) from Waste facilities.
- Principal Engineer/ Sr. I&C Engineer - CH2M A Global Engineering / Contruction Company, RPMS Consulting Engineers, Bala Consulting Engineers, Lockwood Greene
Engineers & Sverdrup Corporation
- Originate I&C proposals, engineering and supervision employing CGMP & sanitary designs for the Pharmaceutical/food
and industrial applications, P&ID development, specifications, construction documents, HAZOP, system configuration,
loop , I/O,ladder logic, Panel Layout, Conduit plans, one lines, elementaries, MCC & panel , sequence of operation,
controls software development for PLC/DCS. The following were some of the projects completed:
- ANHEUSER BUSCH, Newark, NJ- Lead engineer in development of electrical schematics, loop diagram using Siemens and Allen-Bradley PLC 2/3/5 and Controllogix, HMI and servers. Communication network using PROFIBUS, DH plus, Ethernet, and AS-I, panel layout and instrumentation location plan. Improvement and upgrade project involving Vertical Fermentors, Cold Wort Settlers/Transfer, Yeast Brinks , packaging line, HRSG, Steam Generators and others estimated at $300 million in a beer brewing facility.
- PFIZER, Kalamazoo, MI- Aseptic Processing North Project- Developed the system level commission plan (SLCP) for the new electrical substation, HVAC and check sheets for Lyophilizer and Syringe Stopper Processor as part of the commissioning & qualification activities within cGMP environment..
- EMPIRE GENERATING, Rensellaer, NY- Successfully specified instruments using SPI (Smart Plant Instrumentation INTOOLS) and technical evaluations of vendors bid and recommended procurement in a $500 million 535 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant Project.
- BASF Wyandotte, MI-Responsible for the instrument specification bid evaluation and procurement recommendation for Alkyl Sulfate Production. Instrument installation details in AUTOCAD. Specified instruments in in a hazardous environment using SPI (Smart Plant Instrumentation)..
- CHEMTURA, Westhill Ontario, Canada- Lead I&C Engineer for the Sulfonation Expansion Project. Responsible for instrument index and specification with criteria based on FISCO/IS/XP, P&ID , electrical coordination, cost estimate and communication and loop drawings based on Foundation fieldbus and Delta V DCS.
- KING PHARMACEUTICALS, Rochester, MI-Developed and executed Installation and Operational
Qualification Protocols (IQ/OQ) for critical utilities such as Purified Water, WFI generation and distribution, Clean Steam, Building Automation System (BAS) and classified areas HVAC Systems for a sterile penicillin injectables facility. Also participated in the development and execution of IQ/OQ protocols for Sterile Syringe Filling Line, Micronizing, Gel Compounding, Formulation, Filler Process Sterilizer and Labeler / Plunger Inserter. PLC Controls/CIP/SIP qualification was integrated with the system and equipment qualification. Worked jointly with the King Pharmaceuticals Commissioning/Startup Team for a seamless integration of Commissioning and Qualification activities.
- Asphalt storage , distribution and rack/truck dispensing at the Mobil Refinery, Paulsboro , NJ using Accuload
from Smith and Modicon PLC with tie-in to Honeywell's TDC 3000, Fuel Facs from CSI and TMS from Top Tech.
- Waste Liquor Recovery for Elf-Atochem, Minnesota using Moore APACS DCS
- Boiler #7 Addition for Merck, West Point, PA using Bailey DCS
- Automation of Maxwell House Coffe Beans Processing for R&D General foods, New York
- Refrigeration Expansion for KRAFT, Springfield, Missouri using TI PLC
- WFI ( Water for Injection ) system for Enzon Pharmaceutical, Berlex Pharmaceutical in NJ
- USP Water System for Marion Merrell Dow, Kansas City, Missouri
- Chilled Water system for IBM, East Fishkill, NY using Andover Controls
- Revamping & Automation of Stove top Stuffing Line for General Foods in Dover, Delaware
- BMN Bulk Mfg for Syntex, Nutrition & Chemical Div., Missouri
- Shell Relocation Project for GATX in Carteret, NJ using Allen Bradley PLC
- Manufacturing Consolidation/Upgrade Schering Pharmaceuticals in Kenilworth, NJ
- Proscar Mfg. at Merck, Puerto Rico
- New Herbicide Production Facility for American Cyanamid in Puerto Rico and many more to mention.
- Paint Process Engineer- General Motors Corporation Linden Plant
- Project Engineer for a $10 Million project re Paint Spray Equipment & associated Fire Protection utilizing
the latest technology paint equipment ( Rotary Atomizer w/ High voltage ) and instrumentation and controls-( GE
PLC w/ 6000 Inputs and Outputs and color graphics interface) project completed ahead of schedule and within budget.
- First to configure spray equipment to spray two-tone paint job in one pass resulting in savings of $2 million
in paint and solvent waste per annum. Configuration adopted by rest of General Motors plants
- Configured , Programmed and installed SCADA ( Screenware2 ) system to interface to existing Allen-Bradley PLC
Paint Oven Controls to monitor and trend operating parameters
- Electrical Process Engineer- Revlon Inc. Engineering , Owens Illinois- Plastic Products Divison
- Designed/Developed Power Distribution System and Programmed the automation of manual packaging lines. filling
machineries, etc. Involve in engineering of electrical/electronic control and drives for packaging machineries.
( About half of all machineries in Revlon were designed and manufactured by Revlon engineering- one of a kind )
- Principal Engineer- Electro Power Controls, NJ
- Project engineer for systems involving real-time automated machine, process, motion, material handling control
- Monitoring of Fiber/Meltblownline for Chicopee Research ;
- Production Report & Diagnostics for 3 Bandaid Machines for Johnson & Johnson;
- Automatic thermoconductivity Tester for Exxon Engineering
- Continuous Mix Pretzel System for Biscuit Group, Nabisco;
- Automated Crystal Growth controls for DELTRONIC CRYSTALS
- Waste Treatment Batch Control System, American Cyanamid, Bound Brook, NJ
- Cosmetic Batch manufacturing, Revlon Mfg.
- Developed 96 loop full PID mode of Control for Honeywell IPC620 PLC back in 1985 when canned PID blocks were
Perla Wee, President
Tito Wee, VP
Return to Dragon Agro Products Home Page"